Recent: Video Experts meeting at the 4th Crossborder Review workshop in December, 2016 (min. 3.45), DG Regio, European Commission.
Upcoming events: World Statistics Congress, 2017, Marakkesh, contributing paper to special session topic.
Irina is part of the United Nations Migration Network, an active member of Maastricht Centre for Citizenship, Migration and Development (MACIMIDE), ITEM, Romanian Academic Society and Dutch Association for Migration Research.
Publications & working papers:
- Burlacu, I. and O’Donoghue, C. (2016), “The Interplay of Free Movement for Work and the Welfare State: the Illustrative Case of Frontier Workers in Belgium and Luxembourg (Working paper).
- Burlacu I., and O’Donoghue C., (2015), “Cross-border social security coordination, mobility of labour and pension outcomes”, in Salagean, I., Lima, C. & Hartung, A. (Eds)., “The young and the elderly at risk: Individual outcomes and contemporary policy challenges in European societies”.
- Burlacu I. & Neubourgh C. (2015), “Social assistance programmes, an overview of European Union schemes for nationals, intra-EU mobile citizens and third country nationals”, [WP]
- Burlacu I. (2015) “Three-layered policy filter as a measurement tool for frontier workers’ welfare” in Olenski J. & Cierpial-Wolna M. (Eds.) “Foundations of transborder economics and transborder statistics”, Intersentia.
- PhD thesis, (November, 2014) “An Evaluation of Tax-Benefit Systems Impact on the Welfare of Frontier Workers. The Case of Luxembourg and Belgium”, Maastricht University. The thesis cover page and photos of the defense can be found here.
- Burlacu, I. and O’Donoghue, C. (2014), “The impact of differential social security systems and taxation on the welfare of frontier workers in the EUThe impact of differential social security systems and taxation on the welfare of frontier workers in the EU”, Journal on Free Movement of Workers (7), Social Europe, European Commission.
- Burlacu I., O’Donoghue C. and Sologon D. (2014), “Use and application of hypothetical data in microsimulation”, in O’Donoghue, C. (Ed.) “Handbook on Microsimulation”.
- Burlacu I., and O’Donoghue C., (2012), “The Impact of Unemployment of Welfare of Mobile Workers in the European Union”, Journal of Regions and Cohesion, Vol. 3 (2), pp. 69-90.
- Burlacu I. (2007) “Welfare State Regimes in Transition Countries: Romania and Moldova Compared”, CEU Political Science Journal, Vol. 2., No. 3.
Policy analysis, Evaluations, Sociological Studies
- Expert reviewer, Burlacu I. for “Easing legal and administrative obstacles in EU border regions Service Request Nr 2015CE160AT013, Multiple Framework Service Contracts for the provision of Studies related to the future development of Cohesion Policy and the ESI Funds (Lot 3), DG REGIO, European Commission (Dec, 2016);
- Consultant, Burlacu I. (2016), “Practici de asigurare a egalității de șanse pe piața muncii: Practici externe cu aplicare pentru cazul Republicii Moldova”, Centrul “Parteneriat pentru Dezvoltare”, CPD;
- Senior Researcher, “Study of Cross-Border Workers’ Income Implications in Limburg. Social-fiscal policy and legal rules for x-border workers in NL-BE-DE”, CBS/ITEM/ Province of Limburg (to unfold, 2016).
- Visiting Research fellow, European Seventh Framework Programme for Research, Technological Development and Demonstration, InGRID for the visit at the Center for Social Policy, Herman Deleeck, Antwerp University, Belgium, project “Cross-border work analysis of tax-benefit systems utilizing static micro-simulation: the cases of Netherlands, Belgium and Germany”, (October, 2016);
- PhD thesis, (Nov, 2014) “An Evaluation of Tax-Benefit Systems Impact on the Welfare of Frontier Workers. The Case of Luxembourg and Belgium“, Maastricht University.
- Consultant, Round table, Survey results presentation „Sociological survey on Conflict mapping: relationships of populations on both bank of Nistru river: 4 years perspective”, May, 2012;
- Consultant, Data analyst and project manager of „Sociological survey on Conflict mapping: relationships of populations on both bank of Nistru river”, IV-th year of data collection, March-April, 2012;
- Consultant, UNICEF-Moldova, “An evaluation of Child Friendly School Initiative”, November 1st – January 31st, 2012;
- Consultant “Institutional Consultancy for the evaluation of the impact of child and family allowances on poverty and well-being of the most vulnerable families in the Republic of Moldova, in the context of transition for category-based to means-testing social assistance”, UNICEF-Moldova, August, 2010;
- Consultant “Evaluation methodology of social policies of the Ministry of Social Protection, Family and Child”, UNICEF-Moldova, September – November, 2008; guide approved by the Ministry and applied by the Policy Monitoring and Evaluation Unit from the MSPCF;
- Consultant for the elaboration of the Research paper “Establishing accountability institutions in health care”, World Bank, Moldova, 2008;
- Assistant in “Evaluation of the services and products of National Bureau of Statistics”, United Nations Development Program, September, 2008; aimed at institutional and budgetary reviewing;
- Coordinator, Sociological survey „Conflict mapping: relationships of populations on both bank of Nistru river”, Institute for Peace PATRIR, August-October, 2008;
- Consultant in „The use efficiency of Romanian language in bussiness sector”, „Politicians about multilingualism” June – July, 2008, part of the project on „Ethnical minorities in the context of national language policy ”, Open Society Institute, February – April, 2008;
- Coordinator of exit polls (4) on monitoring the corruption in health sector, in various medical institutions;
- Feasibility study „Health Care programs Opportunities Programs In Moldova. Case Study: Orhei School For Boys With Mental Disabilities”; Soros Foundation Moldova, September – November, 2007;
- Gathering and analysing secondary data, and working on strategic planning for the Ministry of Social Protection, Family and Children, March, 2007 – May, 2007;
- Gathering and analysing secondary data for the Ministry of Health of Moldova, December, 2006 – March, 2007;
- Consultant for the Ministry of Social Policy, Child and Family Protection on „Policy Monitoring Regulation mechanism”, that is going to be further aproved by the Minister and applied by all local implementation bodies in order to collect data for the Policy Monitoring and Evaluaton Unit from the MSPCF;
- Project Assistant „Building Partnerships: Public and Private”, TRANSforma, the Netherlands, 2008-2009;
- Project Assistant, „Monitoring Corruption In Health Sector”, Threshold Country Program (TCP), Millennium Challenge Corporation’s (MCC) and the Academy for Educational Development (AED), Moldova, 2007-2009;
- Module moderator of the online course “Sector Policy Analysis: Social, Health and Education sector”, course hold within the project of „Building Partnerships: Public and Private”, TRANSforma, the Netherlands, 2008;
- Trainer-assistant on “Governance and Evidence Based Policy Analysis & Advocacy for Local Development” of PATTIRO, Indonesia, 9th September – 9th October, 2010, Maastricht University;
- Trainer “Online social policy course”, civil servants, Moldova, 2010;
- Trainer “Quantitative research methods in public policy analysis” presentation within the framework of the course in Public Policy, MATRA financed project, the Netherlands, 20 February, 2009;
- Trainer “Qualitative research methods in public policy analysis” presentation within the framework of the course in Public Policy, MATRA financed project, the Netherlands, 17 of January, 2009;
Board member of the alumni organization of the International Masters of Science in Social Policy Analysis (IMPALLA) (end of 2015 – present);
Presenter at the World Statistics Congress in a Special Session Topic on a newly arising field of “trans-national statistics”, Rio-de-Janeiro, Brazil, July, 2015;
|Title of event||Role||Dates/Location|
|Colloque Belgo-Luxembourgeois ”La libre circulation des travailleurs et des citoyens”||Participant||12 November, 2013, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium|
|Annual Conference, Free Movement of Workers Network||Participant||17-18 October, 2013Vilnius, Lithuania|
|DAMR’s Autumn Meeting, organised in cooperation with the Project “All Rights Reserved? Barriers towards EUropean CITIZENship”.||Presenter||20 September, 2013Utrecht|
|“Trends and Players in Tax policy”, Institute for Austrian and International Tax Law (also, in August, participated at the European Forum Alpbach, Closing Event)||Participant||4-6 June, 2013Rust, Austria(29-31 August, 2013 Alpbach, Austria)|
|IMPALLA-ESPANET conference on “Building blocks for an inclusive society: empirical evidence from social policy research“||Presenter||17-19 April, 2013 Luxembourg|
|2nd Microsimulation Workshop, EUROMOD & EUROMOD Training Course||Presenter||11-12 October, 2012 Bucharest, Romania|
|“European Week of Regions and Cities” Open Days, European Commission||Participant||9-10 October, 2012 Brussels, Belgium|
|10 Years of the European Social Policy Analysis Network – the Anniversary Conference, University of Edinburgh||Presenter||6-8 September, 2012 Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Analyzing Regional Social Cohesion: Theoretical and Methodological Training for Advanced Research,The RISC Consortium and the UNU-CRIS||Presenter||2ndof July, 2012 Luxembourg,Luxembourg|
|“Challenges for social protection”, Foundation for International Studies of Social Security, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy||Presenter (Nominated for FISS Best Paper Prize)||June 17-21, 2012 Sigtuna, Sweden|
|“European Meeting of the International Micro-Simulation”, Teagasc in association with partners IZA, UNICEF, National University of Ireland Maynooth and the EuroDym network.||Presenter||May 17-19, 2012 Dublin, Ireland|
|Summer School on Poverty Research, University College of Dublin, UCD||Participant||September 26-30, 2011 Dublin, Ireland|
|Conference, 7th Social Science Conference “Social Science Perspectives on Global Transformations and Social Change”, CentralUniversity of Europe||Presenter||May 27-29, 2011 Budapest, Hungary|
|Experts Seminar “Social protection and social inclusion in the EU: Interactions between policy and law”, University of Antwerp, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy||Participant||February 10-11, 2011 Antwerp, Belgium|
|NationalUniversity of Ireland in Galway||Visiting research fellow||October, 2011 Galway, Ireland|
|PhD Project Management course, Fast Training, by National Research Fund of Luxembourg||Participant||24thNovember, 2010 Luxembourg, Luxembourg|
The Maastricht Journal of Liberal Arts, peer-reviewed journal which encourages and rewards excellence in bachelor research, (March, 2013);
Journal of Regions and Cohesion, (February, 2012);
Lectureship & Tutorship
Summer course “European Social Policy: an introduction“, Center for European Studies, University of Maastricht, 2016.
Course “Classical Sociology“, coord. Ulrike Mueller, University College Maasticht, November – December, 2012;
Course “Simulation in Social Policy”, Prof. Dr. Michael Samuelson, Maastricht Graduate School of Governance, for Masters in Public Policy students, December 2010; December 2011;
Course “Introduction to Social Policy“, Moldova State University, 2007-2009;
Course “Comparative Social Policy“, Moldova State University, 2007-2009;
Course “Gender Studies“, Moldova State University, 2008-2009;
Photo record of past events:
“Labour mobility in the EU: dynamics, patterns & politicies”, debate with Jackie Morin; Center for European Policy Study (CEPS), Brussel, April 24th, 2014:
Project Manager of the Social Football Club “FC Mingir“, Moldova, Director General Karsten Inde (2007 – 2016);
Founder of the Moldovan Community in the Netherlands (2012), http://www.norocolanda.nl.
Academic: Co-organizer of Open Conference (civil society – academia – policy make rs) Republic of Moldova 2020 in 2014;
Presenter at the Public Policy Seminar on problems of the current public pension system, organized by the (former) Prime-Minister of Moldova